AdWords provides a financial lifeline for a lot of businesses, big and small. Finding helpful methods to manage PPC networks (i.e. AdWords and Adcenter primarily) are few and far between. Sure, there are several consultants out there more than prepared to cut into your profit margins, however the minimum contracts and fuzzy promises probably have kept you from taking the bait.
While you will find certainly many AdWords PPC “celebrities” available who have oversaw PPC campaigns of either great size or number, I battle to imagine anyone who has poured the constant day-to-day hours in the last 7 years when i have. Toiling over how you can refine and optimize campaigns, ad groups, etc. to get even a.5% improvement continues to be my well being because it directly correlated to how big my paycheck and success in our business. There hasn’t been one individual at Google or outside Google that has successfully provided a suggestion or found a chink inside my structure, yet there were many who have said “wow- I never thought of doing that before”.
So when it comes to giving AdWords tips for people who contact me for ideas, 10 away from ten times I will say that their problems stem from one of five issues.
1. Poor account structure – Structure doesn’t account for like products, demographics, network, or geography.
2. Mismanaged or under-managed bidding – Google AdWords causes it to be really easy for individuals to have lulled into default bids, AdWords despite its efforts at automating needs active management.
3. Insufficient ad testing for Ad text – Ad text optimization is really a tricky business. Not only do successful ads become less successful as time passes, the criteria and binding the landing page is essential – a lot more so in 2011 than in the past as quality score is playing a big part in a campaign’s profitability.
4. Poorly mined keywords – Keywords would be the currency that makes PPC work. AdWords provides great tools for understanding keywords, unfortunately, these are fragmented. Besides CTR, cost/conv., impressions, match type and clicks; you will find elements including assists, search funnels, negatives, ROI, view-through conversions. These less understood elements are the thing that makes AdWords profitable and accounts need constant assistance to optimize.
5. AdWords not aligned with landing page – Not many are a graphics designer, me included, but you will find basic approaches which everyone can choose to use boost your conversions. Bear in mind a solid CTR x strong Website Landing Page = maximum conversions.
Getting conversions profitably isn’t quite as easy as Google leads you to believe, but if you are diligent and actively manage your campaigns, taking into consideration the account structure, bidding, ad testing, keyword mining, and website landing page optimization I could guarantee you will be on the path to recovery. AdWords guidance is only a message away.
PPC optimization is imperative to sustain success using Google Adwords. Below we touch upon many strategies to optimize your campaigns for better profitability.
Understand Keyword Match Types
Although an elementary concept in Pay Per Click Advertising advertising, understanding keyword match types is important to be successful. Google stops working keyword match types in three primary ways: Broad, [Exact], and “Phrase” match.
In The Search Engines search, a broad match can frequently times be extremely broad. For instance, for any keyword phrase like “Kids military uniforms,” under the broad match setting, your ad may be triggered for searches like “childrens army suit” or “youth navy uniform.” Basically, broad match is quite broad, so ensure you know what you’re entering into if you decide to leave your keywords as broad (without “quotes” for phrase match or [brackets] for exact match.)
Using exact keyword matching by all around the keyword phrase in brackets will make sure that your ads are only triggered when internet search engine users submit that exact phrase, and nothing else. By utilizing exact xrnyuh matching, it is possible to better minimize wasted impressions from broad searches and minimize budget-sucking click-throughs.
Because exact phrase match might fail to display your ads for searchers that you actual do want to capture, a fantastic alternative is utilizing modified broad matching. Modified broad is actually putting a ” ” symbol directly before each keyword (with no space) that you might want specifically mentioned in a user’s search query. The ” ” symbol makes sure that this word, and just very close variations (such as plural and singular variations) are what trigger your ads. So if we bid on the keyword ” kids military uniforms” our ad is still displayed for search queries like “kid military uniform” or “kids military uniforms for sale,” not “childrens navy uniform.”