Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to view an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This information will attempt to answer a number of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Need to Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to remove the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will make sure that if you plant the brand new lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you must consider the grade where your yard currently sits and the volume of soil that you must install for your new lawn. In a few special cases where you may add a layer of the latest soil without getting above grade, you could leave the current lawn set up. New lawns will require the absolute minimum depth of three inches of any well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed by using sod cutter, using a bobcat and an excavator in difficult to access yards might be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is really important to plant health insurance and good growing conditions. Your new lawn will discover much better growth through the years in case a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the more expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The perfect lawn ought to be designed with a minimum of 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at the very least 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter needs to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor needs to be avoided too. Typically topsoil today is manufactured from compost, make sure to ask your supplier the items in the soil and ensure the composting process is finished. A soil analysis using a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from the supplier.
Type of Sod or Seed. Sod or also know as turf is definitely the preferred way of installing a brand new lawn. Sod may be installed throughout the year and turf farms are ready to accept supply all year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to make use of depends on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This includes the amount of traffic that the lawn area is put through, including pets and youngsters.
2. The quantity of sunlight that the lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
Typically turf which comes coming from a sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow types of grasses that fair well for brand new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are accessible for low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn can be completed by using these basic steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams usually do not match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little bit more work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers all the soil. In the event you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be a complicated job if you don’t spend the time to do it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place using a sharp knife. You could niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. You do not have to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Tend not to enable the turf dry out at any time. If the sod is allowed to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams and the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the newest lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a brand new lawn is a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification to any property.